9 Amazing Skincare Tips For Women Perfect For Winter
As the days grow shorter and colder, it is important to take extra care of your skin. Winter can be harsh on the skin, causing dryness, cracking, and chapping. But with a few simple steps, you can protect your skin from the winter weather and keep it looking healthy and radiant all season long. Here are 10 must-follow winter skincare tips for women:
1. Lip Care: Protect your lips, this season. Opt for lip balms with high sun protection factor (SPF), as the thin skin of your lips tends to absorb harmful ultraviolet rays faster than other areas on your face. Keep one in hand all day long. The best include products that are rich in antioxidants and emollients that will keep your lips hydrated throughout the day without causing breakouts or fine lines around the mouth area. Some good options are Clinique Sun Stick Broad Spectrum SPF 45 Colour Surge Butter Shine, Revlon Age Defying with DNA Advantage Age Repairing Balm Hydrate + Restore Plus Lip Treatment, Chanel Precision Hydramax + Active Lip Care SPF 15 SPF 15 and Philosophy Renewed Hope in a Jar Lip Repair for Sensitive Skin
2. Invest In An Eye Cream: The skin under your eyes is more sensitive than the rest of the face and requires proper nourishment. Although most eye creams do not work on fine lines, they help in combating dark circles and puffiness to make you look fresh and rejuvenated even after sleepless winter nights. A good option would be Clinique All About Eyes Rich .3 oz or Origins Modern Friction Nature’s Gentle Dermabrasion.
3. Cleanse With Milk: This may sound like an odd advice but milk works well on dry winter skin as it contains proteins which hydrate the skin and lactic acid which gently exfoliates it. Add a few drops of milk to your face wash or use a milk-based cleanser like Pond’s Cold Cream Cleanser, Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser or Mamaearth Gentle Milk Cleanser.
4. Exfoliate: Exfoliating is necessary to remove the dead skin cells that have built up on the surface of the skin over time. This will not only make your skin look brighter but also allow the skincare products that you apply afterwards to penetrate deeper into the skin, making them more effective. Choose an exfoliator according to your skin type- a scrub if you have oily skin, a clay mask if you have dry skin, a chemical exfoliator if you have sensitive skin or a combination of all three. Some good options are the Himalaya Gentle Exfoliating Face Scrub, The Body Shop Tea Tree Face Wash, Origins Modern Friction Nature’s Gentle Dermabrasion and Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant.
5. Moisturize: After cleansing and exfoliating, apply a moisturizer to your face and neck. This will help seal in the moisture that has been drawn out of the skin and prevent it from evaporating. Choose a moisturizer that is light but hydrating, such as an essence, gel or a water-based cream. Some good options are Kiehl’s Facial Fuel Eye De-Puffer, Origins VitaZing SPF 15 Energy-Boosting Moisturizer and Garnier Aqua Bomb Ultra Light Hydrating Gel.
6. Apply Sunscreen: Applying sunscreen daily is crucial during the winter season as well. Even though you aren’t spending much time outdoors in the cold weather, you need to apply sunscreen for its protective benefits. Choose one that not only provides high sun protection (SPF 30+) but also contains antioxidants like peptides, D3PA (a photostable form of vitamin D) or anti-inflammatory ingredients like green tea extract or caffeine nourish your skin while keeping it shielded from the sun’s harmful rays. Some good options are La Roche-Posay Anthelios 50 Mineral Ultra-Light Sunscreen Fluid for Sensitive Skin, Clinique Super City Block BB Broad Spectrum SPF 40 and Drunk Elephant Umbra Sheer Physical Defense SPF 30
7. Drink Plenty of Water: This is a skincare tip that is applicable all year round but becomes even more important in winter when the skin is dry and dehydrated. Keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day and you will see a noticeable improvement in the condition of your skin. Tea, coffee and other drinks also count towards your daily water intake but nothing beats pure, clean water for keeping your skin healthy and hydrated.
8. Eat Healthy: Along with drinking plenty of water, it is important to eat healthy in order to take care of your skin from the inside out. Eat foods that are high in antioxidants and vitamins like fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds, fatty fish and whole grains. This will help to keep your skin healthy and protect it from the harmful effects of free radicals.
9. Use a Humidifier: During winter, the air is often very dry which can cause skin dehydration and lead to skin problems like eczema, psoriasis and dry patches. To combat this, use a humidifier in your bedroom at night as this will add some moisture back into the air and help to keep your skin hydrated. Some good humidifiers to choose from are the Philips Avent Warm and Cool Mist Humidifier, Honeywell Germ-Free Cool Mist Humidifier and Crane Drop Shape Cool Mist Humidifier.
Adequate hydration can reduce the chances of developing wrinkles by up to 40%. Wrinkles tend to form more easily in dry climates or during winter due to dehydration of the skin. It is important to drink plenty of water throughout the day in order to stay well-hydrated and prevent wrinkles from appearing.